Do you remember CoCo Wheats from when you were a kid? I do! My Dad usually, not my Mom, would make my sisters and I this delicious but simple breakfast. It must have been a Dad thing?
If you have never heard of such a thing called CoCo Wheats, it is a creamy chocolatey almost like porridge. The creamy hot cereal was introduced in 1930 with the belief that hot cereal could taste good, and be good for you. They thought most would love the cocoa taste too!
On the back of the box there are stovetop and microwave instructions. For a big/family batch I would suggest following the stovetop instructions but for a single serving the microwave method is just fine.
The instructions are on the back of the box but I’ll share them with you anyways…
Microwave Cooking Instructions
- Step 1: Mix 3 tbsp. CoCo Wheats, 1 cup water or 1 cup milk (I use milk because it makes it creamy and delicious!), 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1 tbsp. sugar (optional….but you’ll want to add it) in a microwaveable bowl.
- Step 2: Cook on high for 1 minute.
- Step 3: Stir. Cook 1-2 minutes more, stirring well every 30 seconds until cereal is desired thickness. Watch carefully!
- I always cook mine for an additional minute at least. But please, please make sure you watch carefully otherwise you’ll have a messy microwave!
- Step 4: Remove, stir well and let stand 1-2 minutes.
**Just before I enjoy this wonderful breakfast I always add a few teaspoons of sugar and a little splash of milk, which helps cool it and adds a little something to the hot cereal.
I hope you try CoCo Wheats for yourself and enjoy this wonderful breakfast! It brings back so many memories of my childhood and I can’t wait to create these same memories with my bundle of joy on the way!